Britain is about to experience it’s coldest spell for three years. With temperatures predicted to fall as low as -15C, the temptation is to keep the heating on higher and for longer. However there are other ways to keep warm without having a huge bill.
I put the heating on today longer than normal but sadly for many families this just isn’t possible.
A recent study carried out by Policy Exchange found that not only are there 2.3 million households living in fuel poverty but 1.1 million of them are in work!
There are discounts and payments that vulnerable households can apply for like the warm Warm Home Discount, Winter Fuel Payment and Cold Weather Payment but if you haven’t yet applied they won’t keep you warm right now.
Instead of putting the heating on why not try one, or a few, of these 20 easy tips to keep warm this winter.
- Keep the curtains pulled when the sun goes down to block out the cold air, and keep them open when the sun is shining
- Leave the oven door open after you finish cooking so the heat can make it’s way through the house
- Put blankets on the sofa to snuggle under
- Line your curtains with cheap fleece material
- Make a rice sock as a cheap alternative to a hot water bottle
- Take a warm shower to warm you up quickly
- Have a crazy dance for five minutes or until warm – with the bonus of some exercise too
- Wear an extra pair of socks, and even your hat and gloves
- Go to a friend’s house and keep warm together
- Go to the pub, especially if they have an open fire. You don’t have to order an expensive drink though! Ask for a soda water and sip it
- Have hot drinks
- Draft proof windows and block drafts from under doors and key holes
- Install a chimney balloon to stop drafts
- Have a sleepover with all the family in one bedroom so you can share the heat of one room
- Go to bed early and snuggle under the duvet
- Light candles to make the room feel warmer
- Keep internal doors shut so the rooms can stay warm
- Make winter soup
- Use hot water bottles
- If you have bare floors cover them with a rug to keep the room warmer
Household bills are a huge expense but there are ways you can cut them:
- Reducing Utility Bills
- How to Pay Less Council Tax
- Top 10 Tips to Save Money in the Kitchen
- Solving Simple Heating and Boiler Problems Yourself
If you have any other ideas to keep warm for less this winter then please share them below.