Chocolate Rice Crispy treats are very cheap and easy enough for children to make on their own. This simple, classic recipe can be made in no time at all.
The children love getting involved in the kitchen and I love watching them. Daniella is always eager to help with dinner and wants to help with chopping meat and vegetables (much to my horror watching her use a sharp knife) and Chloe is more than happy to help get pots and pans out and set the table.
Trouble is, when rushing to make dinner in the evening having the girls under our feet is the last thing we want. They only want to help and learn but they slow us down and it takes even longer to get dinner ready.
Instead, we try to think of ways to get them involved in the kitchen. Chloe’s pre-school does an amazing job of introducing cooking to children. They have regular cooking sessions and get the children making all sorts of things – from ratatouille to (my favourite) spring rolls.
Sometimes it’s also nice to have the kids help make sweet treats too and making chocolate rice crispy treats is a quick and easy way to get them helping in the kitchen.
The children made these some time ago and we shared them on Instagram – and they proved very popular so we agreed to share our simple recipe.
- 100g chocolate (milk or dark) - 30p
- 100g rice crispy snaps - 18p
- 2tbsp golden syrup – 5p
- Break the chocolate (eating as little of them as possible) into small chunks
- Add the chunks to a bowl and pop them into a microwave until it's melted
- Stir in the syrup then mix in the rice crispies
- Spoon into cases and leave to cool
If you don’t have rice crispies, consider using other cereals like corn flakes or hoops. You could even add raisins, cherry pieces or marshmallows if you want. We had some sprinkles and chocolate drops in the store cupboard so couldn’t resist adding a little decoration.
- Topcashback Autumn Treats 2021 – all answers and clues - 28th September 2021
- Rarest 50p coins in your spare change and what they’re worth - 24th September 2021
- 50 ways to save money on energy bills without switching - 23rd September 2021