A Blue Light Card unlocks exclusive discounts for the NHS, emergency services, social care sector, and armed forces, as well as other workers. Here’s where you can get your Blue Light Card discounts.
£10 BONUS OFFER: Earn easy cash by watching videos, playing games, and entering surveys.
Get a £10 sign up bonus when you join today.
Join Swagbucks here >>
If you can get huge savings on stuff you want, why wouldn’t you?
With a Blue Light Card, you can get money off your supermarket food bill, shops online and in store, restaurants, as well as access free tickets to major events all over the country.
The discounts aren’t for the general public but have been specially set up for emergency services, NHS staff, social care workers, and many other qualifying workers.
You cannot see a list of discounts before you sign up, but we share a selection of the Blue Light Card discount list so you know if it’s worth it for you.
Where can I use my Blue Light Card?
You can get access to discounts with more than 15,000 local and national retailers and businesses in the UK.
Blue Light Card holders can save money on holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones – there is something for everyone!
More small and large companies and local businesses are added daily.
Some of their more popular top deals are from major brands:
- Alton Towers
- Body shop
- Charlotte Tilbury
- Domino’s Pizza
- Go Outdoors
- JD Sports
- New Look
- River Island
And, if you’re planning to book a staycation, check out which is the best Haven park here.
Some discounts can be as low as 2% with Apple (although that works out as a significant saving as they sell more expensive items) with up to 50% off if you eat out at certain restaurants.
For the first time, they are running a flash sale with the Big Blue Weekend where you can make savings of up to 35% off, plus there are loads of competitions for members.
Blue Light Card discounts list
Who accepts Blue Light Card? Here is a summary of other companies where the Blue Light Card works.
Restaurants and eating out
- Beefeater – 25% off food
- Bella Italia – 25% off food from 12 PM Sunday to Thursday (tables up to 6 people)
- Bills – 20% off food (up to 8 people)
- Cafe Nero
- Cafe Rouge
- Dominos Pizza – up to 50% off
- Frankie & Benny’s – 20% off food
- Greene King Pubs
- Harvester – 20% off food (ends 31 May)
- Hungry Horse – 20% off food, max discount £20 (ends 5 September)
- Just Eat
- KFC – 10% off
- Krispy Kreme – 10% off
- Leon – 15% off
- McDonald’s – 20% off (app orders only)
- Pizza Hut restaurants – 25% off after 3 PM
- Starbucks – 10% off
- Tim Hortons – 10% off
- Toby Carvery – 20% off food until 29 September (max 6 people)
- Welcome Break – 20% off food at Burger King, Chopstix, KFC, Pizza Express, Pret, Subway, Starbucks (including ‘Drive Thru’) or The Good Breakfast
- Yo! Sushi – 20% off food Monday – Friday and Sunday
Supermarkets and food
Asda is still going! You can continue to get 10% off your food bill in store at Asda. Instead of showing your ID and BLC card, you must show your loyalty app – this applies from 4th May onwards for grocery, George and Optical products.
- Asda – save 10% in store on fresh foods only (although you must scan your Asda Rewards app as it’s been linked)
- Iceland – save up to £6 (min spend applies)
- Bargain Foods
- Craft Gin Club
- Hotel Chocolat
- Naked Wines
- Getir – 40% off a £30 spend
- Mindful Chef
- Seed and Bean
- Simply Cook
- Virgin Wines
- Morrisons – free £65 delivery pass
(10% off in Morrisons in store ended in January 2022)
Fashion, shoes and accessories
- Clarks – 20% off full price
- Foot Locker
- Go Outdoors
- JD Sports – 10% off online
- JD Williams
- JoJo Maman Bebe
- Look Fantastic
- Miss Guided
- New Look – 15% off full priced items
- Nike – 10% off via the app
- TU Clothing – 10% off online on full price and sale
- River Island
- Schuh – 10% off full priced items online and in store
- Simply Be
- Sports Direct
- Sunglass Hut
- Ted Bake
- Under Armour
- Urban Outfitters
- Vision Express
Home and garden
- Argos – 4% – 8% off
- Matalan – 10% off full price
- Sky TV
- Simba Sleep
- Lakeland – £10 off a £60 spend
- Go Outdoors
- Emma Mattress
- Boxt – £60 off the cost of a new boiler
- o2 – save 25% on refresh
- EE – save 20% on 24-month monthly plans and SIM-only plans
- Affordable Mobiles
- Vodaphone – up to 25% offslected airtime plans
- Beats by Dr. Dre
- Currys – 6% – 10% off
- Hewlett Packard
- Ninja Kitchen
- Richer Sounds
- Shark Clean
- Sky TV
- Arnold Clark car and van rental
- Bike Stop
- Halfords – half price MOTs, plus other savings
- Just Park – 10% off
- Green GLaf – 10% off breakdown policies
- Mr Clutch – 5% off MOTs and services
- National Express
- AXA Health
- Best Gym Equipment
- The Body Shop
- Ernest Jones
- Headspace – free Headspace Plus app subscription, ends 31 December 2023
- Gym King
- MAC Cosmetics
- Nuffield Health – 30% off individual monthly/12 month membership
- Puregym – 5% off monthly, 10% off fixed term, plus no joining fee
- Perfume Shop
- Revolution Beauty
- Simba Sleep
Holidays, cinemas and days out
- See Ticket – 10% off West End theatre shos
- easyjet holidays
- Village Hotels
- Chessington World of Adventures
Latest discounts and increased offers
Latest deals and increased offers currently available include:
(Check the site to ensure the offer is still live)
It’s coming up to holiday season and there are plenty of offers to enjoy a break away.
You can get discounts with:
- JoJo Maman Bébé – Save 10% online and in-store
- My 1st Years – Save 20% on selected full price products
- shopDisney – Save 10% online
- The Entertainer – Save 5% online
- Cult Beauty -Save 20% on selected products
- ghd – Offer boost! Save 20% (ends 25th September)
- LOOKFANTASTIC – Save 22% on selected brands
- MAC Cosmetics – Save 15% online
- Sephora -Save 15% online
- The Body Shop – Save 20% online and in-store
- The Perfume Shop – Save 15% on full price
- Buyagift – Save 20% or 25% on pampering gifts
- Virgin Experience Days – Save 20%
Fashion, shoes and accessories
- adidas -Offer boost! Save up to 35% (ends 30th September)
- Boohoo – Save an extra 10% sitewide
- Debenhams – Save 10% sitewide
- Nike – Save 10% on full price online
- schuh – Save 10% online and in-store
- Sports Direct – Save 10% on full price or 5% on sale online
- UGG – Save 10%
Food and drink
- Hotel Chocolat – Save 10%
- Iceland – Save up to £6 (min. spend applies)
- Virgin Wines – Save 50% on selected wines, plus free delivery
- Warner’s Distillery – Save 15%
- Emma Bridgewater – Save 20% on full price
- Homebase – Save 10% when you spend over £120 online
- Jo Malone London – Save 10% online and in selected stores
- Matalan – Save 10% online and in-store
- Oliver Bonas – Save 15% online
- Yankee Candle – Save 20%
- Abbott Lyon – Save 30%
- Clogau – Save up to 15% online
- Ernest Jones – Save 15% in-store and 20% online
- Goldsmiths – Save up to 20%
- H.Samuel – Save 15% in-store and 20% online
Sun and beach
- Canvas Holidays
- Holiday Hypermarket
- Jet2 Holidays
- Top Villas
- Walt Disney Resorts
- Away Resorts
- Forest Holidays
- Holiday Extras
- Luxury Coastal
- Park Leisure
- Parkdean Resorts
- Spa Breaks
- Hard Rock Hotel
- Holiday Extras
- IHG Hotels
- Thistle Hotels
- Village Hotels
- Helly Hansen
- Mountain Warehouse
- Snow & Rock
- Disney Cruises
- Fred Olsen
- Royal Caribbean
- American Tourister
- APH Parking
- Just Travel Cover
- National Express
- Purple Parking
How much does a Blue Light Card cost?
The Blue Light Cards are not free, although they don’t cost a lot for the value you get back.
You pay just £4.99, which gives you access to a two year membership.
Charlotte, who is a Blue Light community member, told us:
“There are a lot of deals, some are more generous than others.
“I’ve used the JD one quite a lot as it’s 20% off full priced items, and if there is a sale, you will still get an extra discount as well.
“You do have to pay for the card, but it’s a great price at £4.99 for a two year membership.
“So you definitely get your money back in savings.”
Who can apply for a Blue Light discount card?
The Blue Light Card is not available to everyone in the UK.
You qualify if you are a paid member of staff from certain emergency services, NHS or armed forces backgrounds or if you volunteer or have retired.
Although it’s called “blue light”, it’s not just for first responders or essential workers who work in the emergency services.
Here is a list of people who can get a Blue Light Card:
Paid staff member
- Police Service
- Ambulance Service
- Fire Service
- HM Prison Service/HMPPS
- NHS Dental Practice
- HM Armed Forces
- MoD Civil Servant
- MoD Fire Service
- MoD Police
- Highway Traffic Officers
- Home Office – Border Force
- Home Office – Immigration Enforcement
- Home Office – UK Visas and Immigration
- Social Care – Care Company Workforce
- Social Care – Social Worker
- Social Care – Care Home
- Social Care – Residential Care
- Social Care – Council (Working in Care Sector)
- Pharmacy Workers
If you volunteer in the following first aid or rescue volunteer services, you can generally apply with your ID card.
- HM Coastguard
- Search and Rescue
- 4×4 Response
- Blood Bikes
- St Andrews Ambulance
- St John Ambulance
If you have retired from one of the following roles, you can also apply for the card:
- Armed Forces Veterans
- Retired Police Officers
- Retired Firefighters
- Retired NHS
Other eligibility options
If you still don’t qualify, it could be that you can get access to the Defence Discount Service, the Defence Privilege Card.
This membership card offers top discounts in the same way to emergency workers, but specifically for Veterans and the Armed Forces Community.
- Serving Armed Forces
- Reserve Forces
- Spouses/Partners of serving personnel
- HM Armed Forces Veterans (ex serving)
- MoD Civil Servants
- Bereaved Family Members
- War/Service Widow(er)s
- Cadet Forces (over 16)
- NATO Personnel in the UK
Blue Light Card discount FAQs
Launched in 2008, the Blue Light Card is tee UK’s biggest discount service for emergency services, NHS, social care sector and armed forces. There are over 15,000 savings available to over 2 million members.
You can request codes for discounts online on the BLC site or app, which you can keep in your vault in the app. You can then use this code when you’re at the checkout of the online retailer.
Some offers will take you through to the site and automatically copy the code to your clipboard.
You can apply for the discount service directly on the Blue Light card site.
You will need your personal details, home address (so they can send you a physical card) and have to show proof that you are a paid employee, volunteer or retiree.
You can renew your card 30 days before your membership expires. Log into your account and go to the “My Card” section. You will get an email to remind you.
Yes, retired nurses can apply for a Blue Light Card.
According to their Facebook page, the Blue Light Cards works for student nurses, and they can apply.
When you sign up, select which trust you are part of.
To sign up, you need to provide your NHS ID that shows your affiliation with the NHS (either from a job or placement). However, they won’t accept a student ID from your course.
The BLC card is for your personal use and cannot be used by someone else. If you are with them, the retailer may allow the discount.
Teachers and school/college/university support staff are not eligible for a Blue Light Card, however, there are lots of teacher discount schemes available instead.
Can you get an NHS discount at Nando’s?
Nando’s do not accept the Blue Light Card.
However, they offer their own 20% discount on orders up to £20 (so a max £4 off) for collected and eat in orders.
You must show ID with the official Police, Fire, Ambulance Service, or Military logo (they won’t accept the BLC as proof of identity).
Can you use Blue Light Card at Tesco?
There is no discount currently offered by Tesco for a Blue Light card holder.
Does Sainsburys accept Blue Light Card?
You cannot get a discount for card members in Sainsbury’s.
Can you use Blue Light Card at Asda?
Asda does not offer reductions off your food bill to card members.
Can you use blue light card at Iceland?
There is no current discount ay Iceland for Blue Light Card members.
However, they do run a 10% offer at certain times of the year, so keep a look out.
Does B&M accept the Blue Light Card?
No, B&M doesn’t offer a discount service to card holders.
Does Aldi give NHS discount?
Aldi doesn’t give an NHS discount.
However, they will accept the card as proof of employment for priority shopping times.
Can I use my Blue Light Card at McDonald’s?
McDonald’s are run as a franchise.
While there is no nationwide discount, many individual restaurants offer a discount, so check locally.
Domino’s NHS discount – get 50% off everytime
Can I use my Blue Light Card at London Zoo?
London Zoo does not accept the Blue Light Card for discounted tickets, however, there are other offers, including London Zoo tickets 2 for 1.
Blue Light Tickets
As a Blue Light Card account member, venues around the country offer free tickets to events.
You can pick from sports events, attractions, festivals, gigs, theatre, comedy and more.
There’s no guarantee you’ll get them, but you can put your name (and the number of tickets you want) into a ballot.
You need to sign up on the Blue Light Tickets site.
Blue Light Service Days
As an extra special way to say thank you to essential workers, first responders, NHS, emergency services, social care workers etc, major theme parks hold exclusive Service Days.
This allows any Blue Light Card Holders, plus their families, access to special weekend events in theme parks that are closed to the general public.
Tickets are usually in the autumn, are heavily discounted.
They can be for places like Bear Grylls Experience, Thorpe Park, Chessington World of Adventures Resort, Legoland Resort Windsor, and Alton Towers.
Discounted gift cards
While many deals allow you to show your physical or virtual card when shopping in a store, a lot of retailers offer discount gift cards instead.
There is a range of high street brands where you can get discounted gift cards such as Argos, B&Q, Currys, IKEA, Just Eat, M&S, Primark, Tesco and more.
Can you get an IKEA NHS discount?
Remember the discounts can change from time to time depending on special promotions.
They can be great for Christmas shopping.
You order the bargain and discount cards through the Blue Light Card website starting from £10.
Some retailers offer a physical gift card that is sent in the post, but many offer online discount vouchers or virtual cards sent via email.
You then need to discount code when shopping online at the checkout.
Blue Light Card Collar – pet discounts
Launched in April 2021, the Blue Light Collar was a way to get your furry friends a discount.
…it was an April Fool’s :)
They gave away 80 collars on social media to tie in with National Pet Month.
Your dog could apply for a special membership of “Service Dog”!
I’m not sure if they will run the promotion again, although there are still a huge range of pet-friendly best discounts.
Blue Light Card website and app
The Blue Light Card site is easy to find membership offers or buy a cheap gift card.
However, the Blue Light Card app is really useful when you’re out on the go.
You can use it in the same way as the site to shop discounts online and on the high street.
There is also a virtual card to get money off (if you leave your physical card at home).
Blue Light Cards giveaways
You don’t just get random updates when you follow BLC on social media.
The huge range of giveaways are just for Blue Light Cards holders, rather than everyone, so you’ve got a good chance of winning.