Number one things on the list when I cook dinner are that it’s quick, nutritious and delicious – especially quick on a school night – and homemade chicken fajitas tick all these boxes.
The average time people have to prepare a meal is 24 minutes and this fajita recipe comes in under that time.
It is very easy to make fajitas and it surprises me that people would cheat at this dinner. This is a quick and tasty meal for a weeknight that doesn’t take long to prepare.
When you compare it to buying a tortilla kit, it could make your eyes water!
The price on mySupermarket for a fajita kit is an eye-watering £3.19 at ASDA! Why so much? In the pack, you get tortillas (we picked up 6 from Morrisons at the weekend for 69p), a seasoning mix (ours costs 18p) and tomato salsa (make your own for 65p). It works out so much cheaper to just make your own! £1.52 for the homemade fajita kit or £3.19 store-bought – there’s no contest.
Although it doesn’t come as part of the kit (they tell you to just add chicken, peppers and onions), for ours we also made a little guacamole (simply avocado with a little chilli and a teaspoon of lemon juice, all mushed together) and added some natural yoghurt when making up the wraps.
I would tell you how to wrap the perfect tortilla but, to be honest, I don’t have a clue. Well, I do know how to do it, I just can’t seem to. They always fall apart. Skint Mum, on the other hand, is a pro.
We serve up the dinner in bowls for everyone to help themselves, but it generally means Skint Mum does not start her dinner until she’s wrapped everyone else’s tortillas. I’m sure she doesn’t mind…
- 400g chicken, cut into strips
- 1 pepper, sliced
- 1 large onion or 2 small ones, sliced
- 1tsp paprika
- 1tsp cumin
- dash of Tabasco sauce
- 2tbsp oil
- Tomato Salsa
- 3 good size tomatoes, finely chopped
- dash of chilli powder
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1tsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Put the pepper, onion and chicken into a bowl with all the other ingredients.
- Stir well until well coated then put in the fridge for 15 minutes to marinate.
- In the meantime, prepare the salsa by putting all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- After 15 minutes, heat a large pan and add the marinated chicken to it.
- Cook, mixing quite often for about 15 minutes, or until cooked.
- Spoon your filling onto a tortilla and wrap it up.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 322Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 167mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 26g
Nutritional information on skintdad.co.uk should only be used as a general guideline, I am not a certified nutritionist. Please always check labels for allergens where applicable.