After a boozy night, you sometimes can’t help falling into a kebab shop. Although we haven’t been out, and didn’t have any booze, we still decided to replicate a classic doner kebab recipe and, hopefully, a healthier option too. Plus, it’s really expensive for a kebab – but here you get a doner kebab recipe to feed a family of four for less than £5!
Fakeaway 29 March 2014
Doner Kebab in Pita Bread with cous cous
Total cost: £4.37 for a family of 4
All ingredients used were either supermarket own brands or the lowest price.
We calculated the cost of each of the ingredients separately by looking at the item’s total value, then working out what the amount we would need. For example, mixed herbs are £1.39 for 100g, for a 5g teaspoon full it would be 7p (£1.39/100 x 5 = 0.0695).
1. Mix the yeast, sugar and salt with the water until it all dissolves. Cover with cling film and leave for 15 minutes.
2. After 15 minutes, add to the flour and mix in.
3. Knead on a slightly floured surface for about 5 minutes, then leave in a covered bowl for 1 hour.
4. Divide into 8 balls, flatten and roll out.
5. Bake them in a hot oven (220C) for about 3 minutes, when they will start to bubble.
We used frozen lamb mince. If you do, make sure it is defrosted first.
1. Put everything in a bowl and mix together well.
2. Add to a loaf tin and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes at 220C, turning half way through.
3. Slice thinly.
Slice the pita bread and fill with doner meat and salad. Prepare the cous cous as per packet instructions then serve together while warm.
This tasted quite good. The doner kebab was not exactly the same as the real thing as there wasn’t as much grease but I was thankful for that. This must be a much healthier option and I know exactly what went it in.
The pita breads worked out amazingly and will definitely be making some more again soon for packed lunches.
- Best paid surveys to earn money online in 2021 - 22nd July 2021
- Scan your shopping and earn with NielsenIQ Homescan Panel - 15th July 2021
- Aldi School Uniform for less than £5 -cheaper than Tesco and Asda - 5th July 2021