This is a simple and quick recipe for an espresso microwave mug cake which you can be eating it in less than five minutes, with half the washing up of a normal oven-baked cake.
Since we’ve discovered how quick and easy it is to make mug cakes in the microwave, we were delighted when we came across some new microwave cake recipes over on Co-op Electrical.
From everyday bakes such as the honey mug cake and lime mug cake to special occasions such as raspberry mug cake and chocolate chip mug cake, Co-op really have covered all the bases.
There is a lot to choose from but we decided to try out the microwave espresso mug cake and see how it worked out. We’d previously made a microwave chocolate mug cake which turned out pretty good but this time we wanted a caffeine kick.
It’s so simple as it just uses store cupboard essentials so there was no need to nip out to the shop to buy anything special and we could be eating in next to no time.
Each mug gives slightly more than you need for one person so we managed cake for four people! (Although I didn’t really want the three year old to have too much coffee!)
They are easy enough to eat straight from the mug but stay intact well if you do want to serve it in a bowl (maybe covered in ice cream or custard instead).
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 6 tbsp self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- Put the sunflower oil, milk, instant coffee and egg in a bowl or jug and whisk together.
- When fully combined add in the self-raising flour and sugar and whisk in again. The mixture gets very thick so it’s not very easy for the kids and will need an adult to help.
- When all the flour lumps have gone spoon the mixture between two microwave safe mugs.
- Cook each one in the microwave for 2 minutes on 800W and allow to cool for a few minutes before devouring!
What I love about microwave mug cakes is that they create a lot less mess than baking a real cake and they need no special knack to get them right. Every time you will get a well-cooked (and not burnt in my case!) cake in less than five minutes.