I do like making a “proper” curry but they usually take a bit more planning and time. This is a recipe that you can cook the main ingredients then just leave it simmering until your rice is done – perfect for a week night dinner when you don’t have time to mess about with intricate details.
Instead of buying a jar from the supermarket for £1.50, you could make your own with basic ingredients from your cupboard for a snip of the price! Make your food from scratch and save money!
As an added bonus, if you fancy making your own naan bread to go with this budget chicken curry, check out my vegetable masala fakeaway which contains the naan recipe for the almighty price of 46p.
- 500g chicken, diced (£2)
- 1 onion, chopped (12p)
- 2tsp curry powder (13p)
- 1 tin of tomatoes (31p)
- 300g frozen peas (29p)
- 1 chicken stock cube (2p)
- 300ml water
- 1tbsp oil (1p)
- 280g rice (11p)
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the chicken for 5 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and onion, stir in, then cook until the onion has softened.
- Mix in all the other ingredients and simmer for 40 minutes
- Serve with rice.
Each week I will be adding another recipe from the top 20 list of cheaters food to the site. Sign up here for the recipes to land straight in your inbox.
Why not share your budget recipes to my budget recipe board on Pinterest.
- Christmas Saving Clubs – Prepare for Christmas Early - 3rd February 2021
- A massive change for the Skint Dad family - 22nd January 2021
- CheckoutSmart – earn up to 100% back when you shop - 12th January 2021