There is nothing nicer when the weather turns a little colder than a warm Cottage Pie in your tummy. It’s filling, tasty is easy to make and doesn’t cost the earth.
This is a real pleaser of a dish for my family. When I shout that dinner is ready, everyone is sitting at the table in double speed, and quietly (!) ready to have their supper.
That in itself makes me smile. There is very often nothing left on the plate and if there are any leftovers, they heat up well in the microwave the next day for lunch.
I also find this is a really good dish that freezes well.
Once it’s made (as tempting as it might be to start eating it immediately!), let it cool and pop it into the freezer for dinner another day.
As ever, the cost of cooking this dish from scratch is low.
Prices in the supermarket range up to £7 for a family size Cottage Pie!! Yes, £7! However, the price can drop to £3.65 for a Sainsburys basic 1.5kg. However, who knows what actually goes in it?
Rather than buying a ready meal, why not make this for cheaper?
Oh, and we always serve ours with baked beans – it’s a must. I know some people frown upon it, but that’s just that way we roll in the Skint household I’m afraid. Please don’t hold it against me.
- 500g minced beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1tsp mixed herbs
- 200ml beef stock
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1tbsp oil
- 750g potatoes
- 25g marg/butter
- 10ml milk
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the carrot, onions and garlic.
- Add in the beef and fry until browned.
- Add all the other ingredients to the pan, give it a stir and leave it to simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, boil the potatoes until tender, then mash them with the butter and milk.
- After 45 minutes, add the filling to a oven proof dish and top with the mashed potato.
- Place under a preheated grill until it starts to brown
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 617Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 347mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 6gSugar: 7gProtein: 41g
Nutritional information on skintdad.co.uk should only be used as a general guideline, I am not a certified nutritionist. Please always check labels for allergens where applicable.