This is another very easy recipe for a mid week dinner. It’s really filling, the kids can help make the meatballs and you can have dinner on the table in around 30 minutes.
The cost of buying ready made meatballs and sauce works out at £4.30 (plus I never knew that you could buy meatball sauce, surely it’s just tomato sauce?)
Making your own meatballs and sauce from scratch will mean you know what goes into the food you eat. Having checked the back of a meatball pack, I can see it contains Sodium Metabisulphite, which, according to Wikipedia, is used as a disinfectant, antioxidant and preservative agent – nice!
So, avoid the chemicals and make your own food, which tastes better and works out cheaper too.
- 500g minced beef (£1.99)
- 100g breadcrumbs (6p)
- 1 egg (9p)
- 1tsp mixed herbs (2p)
- pinch of salt and pepper (1p)
- 1tbsp oil (1p)
- 1 onion, diced (12p)
- 1 clove of garlic, sliced (10p)
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes (31p)
- 1tsp sugar (1p)
- 1 vegetable stock cube, dissolved in 300ml hot water (2p)
- 1tsp paprika (6p)
- Serve with 400g tagliatelle (78p) and a little grated parmesan (5p)
- For the meatballs, put all the ingredients (except the oil) into a bowl and mix together until well combined.
- Form into small golf balls. You will get about 12.
- Add the oil to a pan and, when hot, add the meatballs.
- Once the meatball's edges have browned, start to make the tomoto sauce (in the same pan) by adding the onions and garlic.
- When the onions have started to soften, add the remainder of the sauce ingredients.
- Cook on a medium heat for 20 minutes, cooking the tagliatelle about 10 minutes before the end.
Each week I will be adding another recipe from the top 20 list of cheaters food to the site. Sign up here for the recipes to land straight in your inbox or tweet me if you make your own meal from scratch to @skintdaduk