This Spaghetti Carbonara recipe is such an easy and simple meal to cook when we are in a hurry during the week.
I quite often have dinner ready in the evening by having prepared bits and pieces before Skint Mum gets in, or by cooking in the slow cooker earlier in the day.
Not every evening is like this though as we can have nights of utter mayhem where we don’t know how we’ll fit everything in before bedtime.
Bring forward the Spaghetti Carbonara. With only a few ingredients, we can have dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes, and it works out a lot cheaper than buying a jar of sauce.
We prefer to use gammon steaks but I know that others do use bacon in their recipes. I have nothing against bacon but just find gammon a little more meaty for a dinner and think it goes a little further (plus it works out cheaper!).
As ever, we cook way too much spaghetti but it means a quick easy lunch that we can reheat the next day.
We’ve never bought a Spaghetti Carbonara sauce before so was slightly shocked when we looked on mySupermarket to see the comparable cost – £1.74 for a stir in sauce! Really? For a few eggs, some milk and cheese?!
Go on, try this yourself and see how much you can cut back in your weekly spend by cooking from scratch.
- 500g spaghetti (23p)
- 250g gammon steaks, cut into small bits (£1.10)
- 2 eggs, beaten (18p)
- 4tbsp milk (3p)
- 100g grated cheddar cheese (48p)
- 1tbsp oil (1p)
- salt and pepper (1p)
- Cook the spaghetti in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- While cooking, chop the gammon and heat in a large pan.
- Once the spaghetti is cooked, drain it then add it to the pan with the gammon.
- Take off the heat and stir in the eggs, milk, cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Each week I will be adding another recipe from the top 20 list of cheaters food to the site. Sign up here for the recipes to land straight in your inbox or tweet me if you make your own meal from scratch to @skintdad.
- Tastecard free trial | 2 for 1 dining or 50% off restaurants - 27th May 2021
- Scan your shopping and earn with NielsenIQ Homescan Panel - 13th May 2021
- Meerkat Meals restaurants & how to get 2 for 1 meals and cinema for a year - 11th May 2021