Last week, things just got a bit behind and, without realising, Skint Mum was in from work and bed time was lurking. We didn’t have long to get dinner cooked and eaten before the pre-bedtime strops started as the kids were getting too tired.
With 20 minutes to spare I had a think and a stir fry recipe became my obvious choice. It takes a little time to prepare all the ingredients (maybe about 10 minutes) and takes around 10 minutes to cook.
I really suggest you spend a bit of time getting everything prepared, chopped and ready before you start cooking as it doesn’t take long to cook this stir fry recipe at all.
Although we used turkey (because that’s what we had in the fridge with the closest use by date) there’d be no reason not to use chicken or beef or pork, or even forget the meat and bulk up on veg.
As with all my recipes, cooking this from scratch is cheaper than buying a ready cut bag of veg, or even a sauce. I’ve seen “deals” in the supermarket where you can buy the noodles, sauce and veg for £3 but you’ve then go to add the cost of any meat. Even if you took the meat away from this, there’d still be plenty for four of us and it’d only cost £1.35.
- 375g turkey, sliced (£2.59)
- 150g bean sprouts (21p)
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks (6p)
- A few leaves of cabbage, finely sliced (10p)
- 1 onion, sliced (12p)
- 1 glove of garlic, crushed (10p)
- 1tbsp soy sauce (6p)
- 200ml chicken stock (2p)
- 1tbsp oil (1p)
- 250g noodles (67p)
- Heat the oil in a large pan or wok and when hot add the turkey.
- Cook for a few minutes stirring then add the onions.
- In a separate pan, cook the noodles for 4 minutes.
- When the onions are slightly softened, add the carrots and cook for a few minutes.
- Then mix in the cabbage and bean sprouts.
- When the noodles are cooked, drain then add to the pan.
- Stir in the soy sauce and chicken stock and stir for about a minute.
Each week I will be adding another recipe from the top 20 list of cheaters food to the site. Sign up here for the recipes to land straight in your inbox.
- Best paid surveys to earn money online in 2022 - 1st January 2022
- 1p Saving Challenge: easily save over £650 in less than a year (FREE printables) - 1st December 2021
- Tastecard free trial | 2 for 1 dining or 50% off restaurants - 2nd November 2021