HMRC – they love to take our money, but they do give it back as well!
If you’re after an early Christmas present then today may be your lucky day!
However you’re able to get a few pennies back it’s worth trying – and it’s easy to do.
Maybe you want to spend the money you get back on yourself, or maybe you want to put it towards a Christmas gift. The choice is totally up to you!
Millions of employees in the service industry could collect money owed from HMRC.
Anyone who works as a nurse, hairdresser, construction worker and people who work in retail and food may be able to claim rebates.
It’s all down to what you have to pay out as part of your job.
Do you have work-related expenses like:
- car mileage (not commuting)
- replacing or repairing small tools (like scissors or an electric drill)
- cleaning, repairing or replacing branded uniforms or safety boots
- travel and overnight expenses
- professional fees and subscriptions?
If you’re using your own cash to buy things that you must have for your job (and you only use them there) you might be able to claim tax relief.
So, if you’re washing your own work kit or having to travel for work, then you may be able to get money back from the government if you’d paid through PAYE.
As an example, if you spent £60 out on washing your work (branded) uniform over the year and pay tax at a rate of 20% in that year, the tax relief you can claim is £12.
It’s not just for the last tax year either!
You’re able to make a claim within four years of the end of the tax year, so you could get a fair bit back!
How to get your money back
It’s really easy to get a rebate from HMRC and you don’t need to use an expensive claims company.
In fact, if you use someone to make the claim on your behalf you’ll need to pay them a percentage back, but it’s super-simple to do this yourself.
Simply go to the Check if You Can Claim tool on the gov.uk website
Once you’ve done the check, head over to your Personal Tax Account and you can claim your tax relief online.
If you claim now then your tax rebate could be in your account before Christmas Day!
Approved claims are usually paid within three weeks.
- Why is my electric bill so high? Don’t worry, it can be fixed! - 25th October 2021
- Where to find cheap petrol near me to save money every time you fill up - 25th October 2021
- Asda Rewards – loyalty app gets money off your food shop - 23rd October 2021